Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Accentuating Cutesy

While waiting for my friends in a popular coffee shop one day, [which by the way i hated. Waiting is a big NO NO] I felt relatively amused.

There were a bunch of kids of high school age in the table next to mine. As kids this age are roudy, they were speaking really, really loudly. Fair enough… I expect that of them. However, one of them seemed to be an exchange student, and she had a fairly thick accent… if I had to gander a guess; German.

She had that German accent tinged with Filipino [the good kind of English, in case you were wondering.] one. Obviously had an Filipino English teacher.

Anyway, she made a remark about another girl's sunglasses, and then regarded herself as rather “fashion-able”.

No, not fashionable. Fashion able. “Able” pronounced like I was saying “I am able to string two words together”.

However, I did not look upon this linguistic faux pas with scorn, or derision, but one of endearment. Her accent actually made it sound pretty cool.

But then I stopped to think. If I had said the same thing, people would think that my grasp of the English language was rather deficient, and that I'm some form of moron[AKA, BAROK].

However, it does make me want to travel to a country that has a language I cannot speak well.

I like the idea that if I say something stupid, people will look at me as though I’m cute… instead of looking at me like I’m deranged.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey you ARE cute hunnie. :)

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home