Friday, November 25, 2005

From the debate in class a while ago

Ah, yes. The age old debate. I have participated earlier in class in an argument about which is better, the arts or the sciences. Indeed it is a difficult question, which of the two to take. Nevertheless, it is a very important issue that should involve a lot of broken rulers and smashed easels.

First, we must be clear what we are dealing with. By arts, we are not just referring to drama and visual arts, but also the histories, social sciences, and political courses. By sciences, we are not just referring to the big three, but also maths and computer courses.

Generally speaking, the arguments for both sides are the same. The arts students, with their high ponytails and keen fashion senses, say "Why would I want to learn something that is difficult, involves lots of memorization, isn't interesting, and has no relevance to my life? You need to be well rounded, not a nerd with no life!" To which the science students, glasses on firmly and binders organized, reply "You are throwing your life away. You need to prepare for the future. Besides, Physics is pretty cool, and we actually find Science interesting."

We've heard it all before. But if you take a closer look at these very predictable arguments, it is clear that both are easily disprovable, and they are really just kids being their defenisve selves and standing by their decision to take whichever path they chose. The problem is that both the arts kids and the science kids are right. For many people, science will have little to no relevance in the rest of their lives, and to the science kids, Mesopotamian[Iraq] civilizations also have no relevance.

Which brings us to me, a student who took the best of both worlds, and who is here to show you all exactly what your schedule should look like. Having taken three sciences, and Ancient Civilizations/Visual and Performing arts, it is clear to me that both, yes both types of courses are highly beneficial, and very relevant.

Allow me to explain.

To the arts students who complain that Science is irrelevant, boring, and hard, I have this to say: In case you haven't noticed, these little things called computers [another subject I took] run our lives today, and all the politics and World History in the world won't help you use them. Also, and in my opinion the most important point, all three sciences deal with understanding the world around you. Remembering terms like Pyloric Sphincter [ha! sphincter] or knowing who invented the microscope [Antony Van Leeuwenhoek - funny I should mention THE SURNAME in this post :)] may not seem relevant, but these are relevant in every day of your life. Understanding motion, understanding the way the world works, even to the atomic makeup of basic things like water is so significant, that you can't look at it with resentment until you've actually studied it.

To the science students, you also need to understand that it is important to be well-rounded, and have a broad education. You might ask, "Why do I need History? I am learning music, dealing with what is happening now, what do I need to know about Hatshepsut for?" Understanding the past is almost as important as understanding the present, because as a student of history, you are really a student of human behaviour and social patterns, all of which apply today. Besides, the monotony of Chemistry can be relieved by an in depth discussion of the human psyche[mind].

What it all really comes down to is whether or not you like to learn. I go to two schools with two different courses, both of which I am talking about right now. People call me crazy every day, but I really can't see it any other way. I have found relevance for almost every thing I have learned this year already. Whether it is History class, Marketing, Natural Science or Humanities, they're all important and should all AT LEAST be considered.

I realize that this is a bit of a digression from the humour and wit of the previous posts, but it is important for each side of the issue to see it from the eyes of the other. Perhaps the best compromise is to either do what I did and take a full course load, which I am sure you guys aren't too thrilled to try and I don't suggest that, or to do some learning on the side. I took Italian outside of school, and even though I dropped it, my limited knowledge of a language that bears little or no resemblance at all to English has already helped me on my midterms. Also, I am taking Photography in the summer to free up room for next year or at least become aware of other ways of presenting the arts. I would highly recommend either of these options.

If I had to take one side, I would probably side with the arts guys, because a textbook really can't teach you what I have learned, but to be honest, one really can learn most of the social sciences and arts from a textbook.

Either way, please consider the other side when making your choice on which course to take, or whether or not to punch the guy who disagrees with you in the face, because really both of you are right, but also wrong.

Please feel free to tell me your opinion on the issue, I already know some people who have strong opinions on "Arts vs. Charts".

If you really can't decide, make sure you remember this: You know you're old when "getting a little action" means not having to eat prunes that day. Think about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home